Breakfast is one of my favorite types of dishes to eat, just not at breakfast time. What can I say I’m a complicated girl sometimes. My all time favorite breakfast dish is eggs benedict. I love Biscuits, poached eggs, bacon and of course hollandaise sauce, so this is obviously the perfect dish for me. I decided to do a little twist instead of the traditional Canadian bacon or ham. I have opted for scallops. So yummy right?!
You can either buy some pop and fresh biscuits and save yourself some time or you can make your own. I decided to make my own, which was interesting considering it’s 104 outside. You would think baking would be the last thing I would want to do, yet here I am. Homemade is always the better option though in my opinion. Getting those little pieces of cold butter in the dough to stay cold was quite a challenge. Using scallops was the best replacement for meat and is now my new favorite way of eating eggs benedict.
3 cups flour
3 tablespoons sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon cream of tartar
3/4 cup butter, cold
1 cup milk
1/4 cup whipped butter
2 tablespoons chives, minced
1 slice of bacon for each person
1 egg for each person
3 scallops, small for each person
Chives for garnish
Hollandaise Sauce Ingredients:
2 sticks butter, melted
3 egg yolks
2 Lemons, juice
Pinch of salt
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees F.
2. In a bowl add dry ingredients. Combine.
3. Cut COLD butter into the dry mixture.
4. Add milk and egg to dry mixture and combine until the ingredients are combined. You should be able to see the butter pieces in the dough.
5. On a floured surface sprinkle some flour on to the top of dough and knead 10-15 times.
6. Roll the dough out to 3/4 – 1 inch thickness and cut with a biscuit cutter or glass.
7. Put the Biscuits on a parchment lined cookie sheet.
8. Bake for 10-15 minutes or until golden brown. Set aside. Makes about 12.
9. In a bowl add whipped butter and chives. Spread generously to both pieces of the biscuits and broil in your oven for a minute. You want it to be slightly toasted. Set aside and keep warm.
10. In a pan cook bacon until crispy. Cut in half and set aside. Keep warm.
11. Pan fry your scallops in the leftover bacon grease so they are seared golden brown on each side. You want a nice crust but not over cooked. Set aside and keep warm.
12. Make your poached eggs. Fill a coffee cup half full, add egg and microwave for 1 minute.
13. Assemble the bottom of the biscuit on the plate, then add bacon on top, then scallops and then the poached egg. Set aside and keep warm.
14. In a blender add egg yolks and lemon juice. Blend until it is some what foamy and light in color. Slowly start adding the butter and continue to blend until it reaches the right color and consistency you want. Blend in a pinch of salt and cayenne.
15. Generously pour over your eggs benedict that you assembled. Sprinkle with chives. Add the top of the biscuit like a sandwich or serve on the side with your eggs benedict.