Summertime means berry time! Around this time of year is when all the yummy berry stands open up around us. Berries and I very much have a love hate relationship since I am mildly allergic to raspberries and strawberries. It’s always a gamble on what will happen when I eat them; hives, itchy throat, tiredness… never emergent though. When I do decide I want to eat them I do it at night and take a Benadryl just in case. I know, not the best idea.
I decided to play it safe using blackberries and doing something a little unusual. Since it’s been in the 100’s here weather wise, the last thing I want to do is use my oven or stove. So BBQing is the best option.
2 cups blackberries, mashed
1 cup olive oil
1/2 cup balsamic vinegar
1 teaspoon Tabasco
2 tablespoons sugar
2 tablespoons steak seasoning
10 chicken drumsticks
1/2 cup cold water
1/2 cup sugar
1/8 cup balsamic vinegar
1 cup blackberries
1. In a bowl, mash blackberries and add olive oil, balsamic vinegar, Tabasco, sugar, and steak seasoning.
2. Add chicken and marinade into a large ziplock bag and shake it up.
3. Refrigerate overnight.
4. BBQ chicken.
5. In a small saucepan combine water, sugar, balsamic vinegar, and blackberries. Mash the berries.
6. Stir over medium heat until the mixture thickens. Set aside.
7. Serve chicken with the warm glaze spooned over the top.