Theme: One Pot
Take a moment and think back to when you were a child. Lots of us have memories of eating certain foods that remind us of our mother and growing up. It’s usually something very simple because let’s face it most kids like the plainest food imaginable like grilled cheese sandwiches, chicken nuggets, cheese and crackers or my favorite mac n cheese.
When most people think of mac n cheese growing up you probably visualize a blue Kraft box or a yellow Velveeta box. Today I am making a “One Pot” Elevated Mac N Cheese. I’m going to add some crab, mushroom, green onion and bacon. Because come on now, who doesn’t like bacon! I also like to find any excuse to add crab now that I can easily get this delicious crab at my local grocery store. It can be a little spendy for everyday use, but worth me not having to shell crab and the taste is delicious.
- 1 pound uncooked elbow macaroni
- 6 slices thick cut bacon, chopped
- 1/2 cup green onion, sliced
- 2 cups cremini mushrooms, chopped
- 16 oz. crab
- 1 stick butter
- 3 cups sharp cheddar, shredded
- 3 cups colby jack, shredded
- 4 eggs
- 7 oz. sweetened condensed milk
- 7 oz. milk
- To taste salt and pepper
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup seasoned breadcrumbs
1. In a dutch oven pot with boiling water, cook macaroni until tender, drain and set aside.
2. In the same pot cook bacon until crispy.
3. Add mushrooms, onion and butter. Combine and cook till butter is melted.
5. Stir in half the cheese.
6. In a small bowl whisk together eggs and milk.
7. Pour on top of macaroni mixture.
8. Top with the rest of the cheese.
9. Preheat oven to 350 F.
10. Bake until cheese is bubbly.
11. In a small bowl combine butter and breadcrumbs.
12. Sprinkle on top and set your oven to broil.