This weeks challenge is so fitting for what is happening in the world today. We live in a world with so much division wether it is gender, racial or cultural. But this weeks theme shows that when two cultures come together amazing things happen.
You have probably heard the expression “everything is bigger in Texas.” Even though these egg rolls are small in size, they are big in flavor! This week challenge is a fun one: Tex-Mex. A collision of Texas and Mexico coming together.
I have been through Texas before but was not able to spend anytime in immersing myself in their cuisine. If any of you have ever been through Texas driving across country you know the feeling of just trying to make it through to the other side. Not many states can you drive for two days and still not be out of Texas. I guess everything there really is bigger. My favorite part of driving through Texas was a sign on the freeway that said “If theres water on the ground, turn around dont drown.” Got love the humor and straight forwardness.
Anyway if youre a fan of beans, corn, chicken and cheese then this recipe for Southwestern Egg Rolls is for you!
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 chicken breasts,cut into small bite-sized pieces, skinless/boneless
- 1 yellow sweet bell pepper, minced
- 2 tablespoons green onion, minced
- ½ cup corn
- ¼ cup black beans, cooked
- 1 cup spinach, minced
- 1 jalapeño, minced
- 1 teaspoon parsley
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dill
- ¾ cup mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1/2 farmers cheese
- 6 8″ flour tortillas
- vegetable oil, for frying
- 2 small avocados, mashed
- ¼ cup mayonnaise
- ¼ cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon buttermilk
- Pinch parsley
- Pinch onion powder
- Pinch dill
- Pinch garlic salt
- Pinch black pepper
- Heat the olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the chicken, bell pepper, onion, corn, black beans spinach, jalapeño, parsley, cumin, chili powder, salt, cayenne and dill. Cook until chicken is done.
3. Set aside in a bowl and let cool for 15 mins.
4. Add farmers cheese and combine.
5. Warm up tortillas in a pan so they are soft and pliable. Do not let them get crispy.
6. Sprinkle mozzarella with equal amounts of the mixture into each tortilla.
7. Fold in the ends, then roll tightly around the mixture.
8. Roll each individual roll into plastic wrap and put in freezer for an hour.
9. Make Avocado Ranch: combine all ingredients and whisk together. Store in fridge until ready to use.
10. Heat about 1″ of vegetable oil in a sauce pan until about 350º.
11. One at a time place the rolls into the oil and fry until golden brown.
12. Cut each egg roll in half and serve with the Avocado Ranch.