Theme: Made Healthy
This weeks challenge was clearly not meant for me. Made Healthy… I wasn’t even sure what was implied by that when I first read it. Did it mean something not good for you made healthy or just something prepared healthy with cooking involved. Anyone who truly knows me, knows that my food groups consist of butter, potatoes, pasta and bread.
Dont get me wrong, I love all food healthy or not but I admit I do not limit myself when cooking with butter, cheese, carbs or oil. My family is very fortunate in the fact that we do not have any dietary restrictions or food allergies like so many people do now days.
Fun Fact: “You can live entirely of potatoes and butter, which provide all the necessary nutrients the human body needs.”
A couple weeks ago I had posted about a Cauliflower Pizza Crust that was delicious. My husband who loves pizza surprisingly enjoyed it. He made the comment that the crust would be good with just cheese and marinara for dipping.
So for this weeks challenge I am going in that general direction with a Zucchini Crusted Grilled Cheese Sandwich. Now if this is considered healthy Im not entirely sure, but it is as healthy as we are getting today.
The recipe is very simple and not a lot of ingredients.
- 4 cups zucchini, shredded
- 2 eggs
- 3/4 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 cup parmesan cheese, shredded
- Your choice of cheese for the middle
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F
- After you have shredded the zucchini let it sit in a bowl for 15 minutes.
- Drain liquid from the bowl and then place the zucchini in a hand towel and squeeze the liquid from it. Its ok if its still a little damp.
- In a large bowl add zucchini, egg, flour, pepper and parmesan cheese. Combine.
- On a baking sheet lined with parchment paper make four separate piles with the zucchini mixture and then shape them into the size of sandwich bread pieces.
- Bake them in the oven until they are slightly golden brown on top and then flip with a spatula and bake until they are slightly golden brown on both sides.
- Take out of the oven and on two pieces add your cheese. I used a mixture of 2 cheese italian blend, mozzarella and original baby bells.
- Place the other two pieces on top and broil in the oven until the cheese has melted.
- You can serve with tomato soup.